Confucius Institute Coordinator I, Center for International Education – 150000007G
CONFUCIUS INSTITUTE COORDINATOR I
CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION
THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE, KNOXVILLE
Pay Grade 39
The Confucius Institute Coordinator reports to the Director of the Confucius Institute, one of six units within the Center for International Education (CIE). CIE is responsible for many aspects of international education at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, including international student and scholar orientation and immigration advising, international programming at the non-residential International House, education abroad programs and advising, and intensive English language classes. The mission of the Confucius Institute is to enrich the teaching and learning of Chinese language and culture on the UT campus and in the local community as well as to facilitate cultural exchanges and collaboration between the University of Tennessee and China. Staff of the Confucius Institute works closely with CIE, other UT units and local groups to sponsor and organize various classes and cultural events.
The Confucius Institute Coordinator’s duties include (but are not limited to): planning and coordinating Chinese language and cultural programs; managing daily operations of the Confucius Institute; assisting the Director of the Confucius Institute on tasks such as budget, accounting, communications, office management, etc. This position also requires working evening and weekend hours as part of the job and some domestic/international business travels.
The Knoxville campus of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville is seeking candidates who have the ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the diversity and intercultural goals of the University.
Minimum Required Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Mandarin Chinese (simplified)
• Demonstrated ability to work well with all members of a university community
• Computer related skills including Microsoft Office
• Ability to work evenings and weekends
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
• Ability to multi-task and work efficiently with a wide range of activities
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Driving (must have a valid driver’s license)
• Availability of starting this employment in early July, 2015
• Experience in developing and organizing cultural and educational programs
• Experience in working with individuals/groups from China
• Experience in managing organizational budgets/financial resources
• Skills of problem solving, team leadership, and efficient resource management
• Computer related skills of Illustrator, Photoshop, and web design
• International/intercultural experience, preferably studying or working in a university setting outside the U.S.
• Flexibility-ability to adjust to circumstances as needed
• Ability of interacting with people of different backgrounds and age groups
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, the University offers a comprehensive
Applications should include a cover letter, résumé and contact information for three references. Apply online at: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/
The review process will begin on March 30, 2015, and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.
Ctr For International Educ