Guidelines of Selecting Confucius Institute’s Student Ambassador for 2017-2018 Academic Year
- Full-time UT student during the academic year of 2017-2018
- Non-native Chinese speaker
- Interested in Chinese language and culture as well as interpersonal and cross-cultural communication
- Capable of basic daily communication in Chinese with at least two-year background of Chinese language
- Good at public speaking, event planning, and organizing
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Eligible to work as a student assistant and receive a stipend of $3,000 during the academic year of 2017-2018
Benefits of becoming a Student Ambassador of CI@UT:
- Be a link between the CI@UT and UT as well as the local community
- Build experience in public speaking, event planning, and organizing
- Develop interpersonal and cross-cultural communication
- Upon satisfactory performance, receive an official letter of recommendation for your career services portfolio
- Receive the first $1,500 stipend at the end of fall semester of 2017 and another $1,500 at the end of spring semester of 2018 with approximately 150-hour work per semester and satisfactory completion of the commitments list below.
As CI Student Ambassador, one commits to:
- Serving as a student representative of CI@UT to promote the role of CI@UT on the UT campus and in the local community
- Assisting Chinese language and cultural programs
- Meeting with academic departments, student organizations, local community, and other relevant groups
- Drafting publicity reports
- Giving public speaking on behalf of CI@UT as needed
- Participating in conferences as needed
- Working evening and weekend hours as needed
- Carrying out requested work assignments/projects for Confucius Institute
- Being willing to travel domestically as needed
- Working with other staff and faculty members at CI closely and positively
- Planning 3 events for the 2017-2018 academic year
- Recruiting temporary workers/volunteers as needed
- A copy of resume
- Transcripts (non-official version is acceptable)
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in this opportunity and how you would help promote CI@UT
- One letter of recommendation from an advisor or organization leader
Submit application materials to email@example.com by 12:00 PM, Friday, April 10th, 2017.
Descriptions of Confucius Institute’s Student Ambassador
As a student ambassador, one is more than just an employee working for an institution. An ambassador must embody everything an institution stands for. This means that the ambassador should be familiar with what exactly the Confucius Institute does and represents, and how the Confucius Institute can benefit the Knoxville community as well as the International community.
The ambassador should be familiar with the common values and traditions of Chinese culture. Working with the Confucius Institute means participating in varies events hosted by CI and promoting CI as well as Chinese culture through participation. Knowing the function and meanings behind the Chinese community’s most important holidays is crucial in interacting with Knoxville’s local diaspora. As an ambassador for an organization that represents Chinese culture in our community, one will share moments of togetherness and unity with those who have reached out to the Confucius Institute for comfort away from home or for continuing Chinese traditions in America. Being aware and embracing these moments is part of the job.
Understanding one’s role as an ambassador is crucial to success but as an ambassador, it is encouraged to enjoy and find motivation in what one represents. This once again distinguishes the position from an ordinary job. As the Confucius Institute’s ambassador, one should feel excited about promoting the Chinese community, bridging the cultural gap between Knoxville’s Chinese population and American culture. Finding motivation within the prospect of being a voice in the community will keep the position fun and uplifting for the ambassador and ensure that the CI is represented in the best way possible.
Contact the CI@UT:
Address: Room 110 in the International House
1623 Melrose Ave. Knoxville, TN 37996
It’s getting close to the deadline.
All submitted materials must be received by 12:00 pm noon April 10th!
We are looking forward to receiving your application form soon.